One of the most disheartening experiences is to find water damage in your home. Simply put, it’s awful. From discovery to demolition to piecing your home back together, it’s a frustrating process.
Our team know that you want to protect what’s important. That’s why we’re offering these tips to help you prevent many of the most common causes of water damage.
Just a little time and some effort can prevent a lot of heartache and hassle.
- Make sure your water pressure is not set too high. For just $6 or so, you can purchase a gauge that will help you test your pressure for the appropriate level, which should be set between 60 and 80 PSI.
- Standard hoses on new appliances are not as durable as they used to be. So check your appliances. If they’re rubber, either replace them with longer lasting stainless steel braided hoses or replace them every three years.
- Keep water from leaking into the walls or floor of your bathroom by replacing cracked tiles and re-grouting when it’s needed.
- Examine the shingles on your roof. Worn, curled or missing shingles allow water in, so replace them as soon as noticed.
- Consider buying a water alarm, which can help you find leaks, or automatic shut-off mechanisms, which can help avoid bursts.
- A lot of water damage occurs when you and your family are away from home. Make a practice to avoid running the washing machine or dishwasher while you’re out.
- When you leave for vacations, turn off the water supply to appliances.
- Keep up maintenance on all appliance hoses, because slow leaks from worn out hoses can cause major damage (and they are not covered under Homeowners insurance).
Take action now to prevent future water damage pain.
And for those times that you suffer sudden water damage, make sure you have the right coverage in place. It might even mean a need for Flood Insurance.
At Enders Insurance Associates, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Contact us – we’re friendly. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected.
We partner with carriers like Safeco Insurance to provide insurance to many folks in our community. One example of a claim that turned out well for a Safeco client:“Unfortunately, my wife and I recently had to file our first claim with Safeco in regards to water damage in our home. The adjuster assigned to our case/claim was Matthew. From the first time Matthew called me, he was extremely helpful and courteous. Honestly, before Matthew, Safeco was just another insurance provider, but now I am a huge fan of Safeco! Matthew is the kind of guy that makes a difference every day, even when no one is watching.”
Content provided by Safeco Insurance